Six Questions For Mountain Skills Steep Ground Work
1. Could I Do It? (ability-wise)
2. Should I Do It? (sensibility-wise)
3. Can I see an onward route, or am I moving into a dead end? (one person sent scouting can be useful here)
4. If I do it, can I backtrack easily if needed? (always be able to backtrack)
5. Likelihood Of A Slip? (low/medium/high)
6. Consequences Of A Slip (low/medium/high)
Three Questions For Mountain Skills Spotting
1. Am I spotting properly here; properly positioned and dug in; or am I simply putting myself and the other person at risk?
2. Can we backtrack whatever I am spotting?
3. Am I happy with the amount of time that will be lost by spotting?